The Powder HighwayBlog Mar 17th, 2023
Experience the Adventure of the Powder Highway in British Columbia.
As a Subaru owner, you likely appreciate the adventurous spirit that comes with exploring new terrain and embracing the great outdoors. If you're looking for an epic winter adventure, the Powder Highway in the Kootenay Region of southeastern British Columbia might just be the ticket.
What is the Powder Highway?
The Powder Highway is a network of ski resorts and backcountry skiing destinations in the Kootenay Region of southeastern British Columbia known for its deep, dry powder and breathtaking mountain scenery. With over 50 heli-skiing, cat-skiing, and ski resort options, the Powder Highway offers something for everyone, from first timers to seasoned powder hounds.
Why Choose a Subaru for Your Powder Highway Adventure?
Subarus are built for adventure. With their reliable all-wheel drive and ample cargo space, they're the perfect vehicle for tackling snowy mountain roads and hauling your ski or snowboard gear. Plus, Subarus have a reputation for longevity and dependability, so you can trust your vehicle to get you where you need to go, no matter the weather or road conditions.
What to Expect on the Powder Highway
The Powder Highway offers endless opportunities for adventure. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Ski and Snowboard Resorts: The Powder Highway is home to some of the best ski and snowboard resorts in North America, including Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, and Fernie Alpine Resort. Each resort has its own unique character and terrain, so be sure to do your research and find the one that suits your style.
- Heli-Skiing and Cat-Skiing: For a truly epic powder experience, consider booking a heli-skiing or cat-skiing trip. These guided tours take you deep into the backcountry, where you can enjoy untouched powder and stunning mountain views.
- Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing: If you're looking for a more low-key winter activity, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing are great options. Many of the ski resorts and backcountry lodges in the Powder Highway offer groomed trails and guided tours.
- Hot Springs: After a long day on the slopes, there's nothing better than soaking in a hot spring. The Powder Highway is home to several hot springs, including Ainsworth Hot Springs and Radium Hot Springs.
Tips for Planning Your Powder Highway Adventure
- Plan Ahead: The Powder Highway is a popular destination, especially during peak ski season (December to March). Be sure to book your accommodations and activities in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Be Prepared: Winter weather in the mountains can be unpredictable, so be sure to pack warm clothing, a shovel, and other emergency supplies in case of inclement weather or road closures.
- Drive Safely: While Subarus are built for snowy conditions, it's still important to drive safely and be mindful of road conditions. Always check the weather forecast and road conditions before setting out on your journey.
- Respect the Environment: The Powder Highway is a pristine wilderness area, and it's important to respect the environment and follow Leave No Trace principles. Pack out all your trash and be mindful of your impact on the landscape.
The Powder Highway in British Columbia is a winter wonderland for adventure-seekers, and Subarus are the perfect vehicle for exploring this stunning region. Whether you're a seasoned powder hound or a first-time skier, the Powder Highway offers something for everyone. For more information here are some really great sites to check out:
So, pack up your Subaru and get ready for an epic winter adventure!